The J-1 EVP was created as part of the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961 (The Fulbright-Hays Act) to allow foreign nationals to reside temporarily in the United States. They participate in various education or training programs to promote cultural exchange and international cooperation, contribute to a peaceful and wealthy life for people on the Earth, and assist in developing friendly, sympathetic, and peaceful relations.

  • You have signed up with an approved exchange program that focuses on teaching, receiving training, or conducting research (or going to do so);
  • You want to be hired by U.S. employers to receive on-the-job training or to take part in an internship;
  • You are a foreign student willing to spend a summer working in the United States at seasonal jobs.

How can I get a J-1 Visa?

  1. Select the program which is right for you.
    Every program has requirements, allowed visit duration (from a few weeks to several years), and eligibility. You can try to pre-evaluate checking on the program requirements comparison chart here.
  2. Find a J-1 sponsor organization
    You can find the List of Designated Sponsor Organizations By Country here. Be aware that the sponsors do charge program fees. Fees vary from sponsor to sponsor.

How an immigration attorney and paralegals can help me?

An immigration attorney can guide you through all stages of J-1 visa process: from finding an exchange agency for you or your US employer/trainor to advising you on the J-1 visa application process in the US Consulate abroad. An immigration lawyer can also help in cases when:

  • your visa was declined in the past,
  • you would like to change your non-immigrant visa status to J-1 inside the US or extend your current J-1 visa status;
  • you would like to change your current J-1 visa status to a work visa or green card.

What will our attorney do for you

  1. We evaluate your chances, find the perfect sponsor organization (J-1 exchange agency) for you and help you and your US employer to apply. We will prepare you for the interview with the sponsor organization. After you are accepted, the program sponsor will issue you a Form DS-2019 – Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status.
  2. We will help you to pay the governmental fees, such as the I-901 SEVIS fee and USCIS application fee.
  3. We will fill out your Form DS-160 with the US Department of State, Non-Immigrant Visa Application Form
  4. After scheduling your interview at the U.S. Embassy (or the U.S. Department of State), we will ensure that you bring all needed documents on the day of your interview and prepare you for the interview
  5. If you receive financial compensation as part of your J-1 exchange program, we will help to apply for a social security number after your arrival in the U.S. on J-1 visa.